Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Ink Spots, "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire"

One song serves as the inspiration for this collection. I remember when I first heard it. I was housesitting and flipping through the CDs set out by the owners of the house for me to check out in the week they'd be gone. (They did that with movies, too. Thanks to them, I know about The More the Merrier with Jean Arthur and Joel McCrea. "Damn the torpedoes; full speed ahead!") I listened to the Nat King Cole Trio that week, early stuff from before 1943. Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt played for me from the hot jazz clubs of Paris. But when the CD player moved to the third disc in the tray, the Ink Spots crooned and I swooned. This number gets me every time.
I don't want to set the world on fire, honey
I love you too much
I just want to start a great big flame down in your heart
You see, way down inside of me, darling
I have only one desire
And that one desire is you
And I know nobody else ain't gonna do


No comments: