Sunday, August 19, 2012

Meat Loaf, "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth"

Meat Loaf (aka Michael Lee Aday) has a long and very storied musical career spanning six decades. From his early career in the late 1960s with bands of various names including Meat Loaf Soul, Popcorn Blizzard, Floating Circus, and Stoney & Meatloaf (and touring with the likes of Janis Joplin, The Who, The Greatful Dead, Bob Seger, and Alice Cooper!). Meat Loaf joined the Los Angeles production of the musical Hair. In 1973, Mr. Loaf was also part of the stage production The Rocky Horror Show, which led to him being part of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Since going solo in 1977, he has toured essentially continuously.

Meat Loaf is an avid baseball fan and according to Wikipedia, is said to have cheated death on "numerous occasions".

Fun fact: Meat Loaf also recorded lead vocals on Ted Nugent's Free-for-All album in 1976.

"You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth" includes a great spoken prelude with a rather Twilight-esque conversation with a werewolf.

On a hot summer night.
Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
Will he offer me his mouth?
Yes
Will he offer me his teeth?
Yes
Wlll he offer me his jaws?
Yes
Will he offer me his hunger?
Yes
Again.
Will he offer me his hunger?
Yes
And will he starve without me?
Yes
And does he love me?
Yes
Yes
On a hot summer night.
Would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
Yes
I bet you say that to all the boys.


2 comments:

Darcie said...

Oh my lord.

I think Mr. Loaf has done very well for himself, all things considered; however, I will be very glad when his concert in Milwaukee may be referenced in the past tense.

Nate said...

Past tense will be soon...