Friday, August 7, 2015

"I Haven't Learned at Thing," by Porter Wagoner

Today was day three of the exterior painting extravaganza at our house. I took the portable radio powered by a drill battery with me outside (best "free" inclusion with a power tool ever, I may add). The radio is perfect while painting -- no worrying about wrecking a phone or iPod. Something about hearing the time pass, the weather announcements, and music coming from the air is most pleasant while working on a big project.

This morning, I tuned in to WMSE's most excellent program Americana/country/rockabilly program, "The Chicken Shack" (9:00AM-noon, Friday mornings, streaming archives available). For whatever reason, 1960s music has more songs with talking than seemingly any other decade.

Porter Wagoner (featuring Merle Haggard as his "guest speaker") is today's feature. It's a two-for! (That is, a talking song featuring TWO spoken sections, though neither is really an interlude, as Mr. Haggard talks over Mr. Wagoner as he sings).

We are led to believe Mr. Wagoner's drinking has caused many problems in his life, and that he has never learned a thing. Especially when he mentions that stuff about "...if [he] took the remedy..." Yikes.
I was pickin' my old guitar
Learning that I loved to drink that beer
My mom tried to tell me all the sorrow that drinking that stuff would do
It must have been a thousand times
I never learned a thing
And if I took the remedy
Oh, the songs that I'd sing would be just a bunch of jumbled-up words
Now I'm singin' in a little mission
Oh those old-time songs my papa used to sing




Classic country music: a big contributor to our slowly-growing compendium of talking songs.

No comments: